Monday, September 30, 2013

Respect

That one word, Respect, has so much meaning behind it.

The first thing that some people think of when they think of respect is the 5th commandment in the Bible. Exodus 20:12 "Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land which that the Lord your God has given you."

But that verse is another topic for another time. This post is going to be about how we as single or dating men need to respect our women in our lives.


According to a man named, Clifford Pugh, a writer on the Houston Chronicle, he states there are 21 ways to be a true gentleman. I'll provide a few of his "21 ways" , if you'd like to see the rest click here.
1. Keeps to the right, whether he is walking on a sidewalk, down a hallway or on the stairs.
5. Waits until a lady at the table lifts her fork before he takes his first bite.
8.  Always has an umbrella to share.
18. Never wears the same pair of blue jeans two days in a row.

Now I don't know about you, but I don't own an umbrella. I also walk on the left of my Girlfriend, why? Because she's left handed and I'm right handed, and when we hold hands, it just feels right!

What does I mean to be a gentleman? Well I think the key word is RESPECT. Do you respect women as your equal? Or do you think of them as a lower sex than you and consider them servants in your eyes?

The "21 ways" that Clifford was talking about may help you appear to be more like a gentleman, but it doesn't necessarily show you respect the women in your life.

Single guys, think about this one. If you can't respect the random girls in your life as equals or do kind and nice things for them (holding doors open, talking appropriately, not ignoring them, etc.) than how do you think you'd be able to have a girlfriend, let alone a wife?

At the beginning of my relationship with my girlfriend, I didn't treat her with the amount of respect that I do now. Sure, I would hold the door open for her and stuff, but I treated her like a pet. I would buy her stuff, have fun with her and would expect her to love me and only be around me.
 
However, she has her own life. She is her own person. She has her own soul. She has her own personality. I can't control her. I have to respect her as her, being herself.

And let me tell you...on a personal testimony... After respecting her more, I have come to learn to love her more, I have more fun with her, I trust her more, and I love to be with her more. It's amazing.

So men, respect those women in your life. They deserve it and so do you.

God bless,
Josiah

No comments: